Mastercard Innovation challenge
We hope you are as excited as we are about the possibility of using technology to make the world a better place.
We’re looking forward to seeing your ideas.
More information on the challenge and how to submit your idea is below. If you have any questions about the challenge, please get in touch with Ged Henry at email@example.com.
What is the challenge?
Suggest an invention or idea that uses technology to make the world a better place.
Specifically, the invention or idea must focus on one of these five areas:
- Making friends (Connectedness)
- Learning (Education)
- Helping others / people in need (Care)
- The environment (Climate Change / Sustainability)
- Making people happy (Positivity)
What do you need to submit?
- A simple sketch of your idea on an A4 piece of paper. This can be a quick pencil drawing, colouring or painting. If you would like, you could annotate the sketch or find pictures to help explain your idea
- Write a short note about your idea (50-100 words) including:
- Your first name and age
- Your idea name
- What your idea is and how it uses technology (start with: my idea is…)
- Why you came up with this idea (start with: I came up with this idea to…)
- One idea
What not to do:
- Do not share an idea that already exists or is someone else’s idea
- Do not work in a group
- Submit more than one idea
The winner will receive a STEM education package worth $5k for themselves and their class.
All three applicants who are invited to the AO on 30 January to share their idea with Mastercard in person, will receive a Priceless Tennis experience for themselves and their accompanying guardian including:
- A premium Superbox at the AO to view the match, with food and beverages
A note to parents / teachers / adults helping with this competition:
- Please refer to the below T&Cs
- Feel free to help your child with their idea, but it is important that the ideas are from the perspective of a child – we’re not expecting perfect sketches or digital graphics
- We do not want to interfere with school or other commitments so please don’t spend too much time on this, it’s intended to be a fun exercise :)
“MASTERCARD AO YOUNG INNOVATORS” PROMOTION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Information on how to enter and the prize(s) form part of these Terms and Conditions. Participation in this promotion is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- Entry is only open to Australian residents between the ages of five (5) and twelve (12) who register their interest by responding to the casting call out for this promotion.
- Entrants must have approval from parent/guardian to enter and further, the parent/guardian of the entrant must read and consent to these Terms and Conditions. Parents/guardians may be required by the Promoter to enter into a further agreement as evidence of consent to the minor entering this promotion.
- Employees (and their immediate families) of the Promoter and agencies associated with this promotion are ineligible to enter. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or 1st cousin.
- Promotion commences 9.00AM on Thursday 5 December 2019 and entries close at 12.00PM on Thursday 12 December 2019 (“Promotional Period”).
- To enter, eligible entrants must undertake the following during the Promotional Period:
(a) draw a sketch of an invention idea that uses technology to help make the world a better place and create a better future for their generation
(b) create a short video between three (3) and five (5) minutes in duration, which contains the following information:
(i) the entrant’s first name and age;
(ii) a description of their invention idea and how it uses technology to make the world a better place and create a better future for their generation
(c) send an email containing a copy of their sketch and video, and their parent/guardian’s full name and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Promoter reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant’s identity, age and place of residence) and reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who the Promoter has reason to believe has breached any of these Terms and Conditions, tampered with the entry process or engaged in any unlawful or other improper misconduct calculated to jeopardise fair and proper conduct of the promotion. Errors and omissions may be accepted at the Promoter's discretion. Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights. The Promoter's legal rights to recover damages or other compensation from such an offender are reserved.
- Incomplete, indecipherable, inaudible or illegible entries will be deemed invalid.
- Only one (1) entry permitted per person.
- If there is a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, the Promoter reserves the right, inits sole discretion, to determine and verify the identity of the entrant.
- The judging will take place at Mastercard Asia Pacific (Australia) Pty Ltd of 72 Christie Street, St Leonards NSW 2060 on 13 December 2019 at 12.00pm.
- The judges may select additional reserve entries which they determine to be the next best, and record them in order, in case of an invalid entry or ineligible or disqualified entrant.
- Winners will be notified by telephone and email.
- This is a game of skill and chance plays no part in determining the winner. Each entry will be individually judged based on innovative and creative merit of their sketch and video submission, and on how well their innovative idea satisfies the criteria listed in clause 6.
- The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The best three (3) valid entries, as determined by the judges, will each win a trip for the winner and one (1) accompanying adult to Melbourne, VIC valued at up to $2,000 depending on date and point of departure. Prize includes:
- Two (2) x return economy airfares from winner's nearest capital city to Melbourne, VIC (only provided if winner resides outside of VIC);
- 2 night’s twin share five star accommodation
- Transfers between Melbourne airport and accomodation and between accomodation and Melbourne Park.
- An Australian Open Superbox Experience for two (2) people; and
- The opportunity to present their innovative idea to a panel of Mastercard business experts.
- Spending money, meals, insurance, transport to and from departure point, items of a personal nature, additional transfers, in-room charges and all other ancillary costs are not included. Prize must be taken to coincide with the Australian Open event with flights departing on 29 January and is subject to booking and flight availability.
- During the entire duration of the prize, a nominated parent/guardian must accompany any person under 18 years of age. Winners (and their companions) must depart from and return to the same departure point and travel together. Itinerary to be determined by the Promoter in its absolute discretion. Frequent flyer points will not form part of the prize. Prize is subject to the standard terms and conditions of individual prize and service providers. Parents/guardians of winners may be required to present their credit card at time of accommodation check in.
- If for any reason a winner does not take the prize (or an element of the prize) at the time stipulated by the Promoter, then the prize (or that element of the prize) will be forfeited and will not be redeemable for cash.
- The prize will be awarded to the winner's nominated parent or guardian.
- If any prize (or part of any prize) is unavailable, the Promoter, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize (or that part of the prize) with a prize to the equal value and/or specification.
- Total prize pool value is up to $7,000
- Prizes, or any unused portion of a prize, are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash, unless otherwise specified.
- Entrants agree that they are fully responsible for any materials they submit via the promotion including but not limited to comments, recordings and images (“Content”).The Promoter shall not be liable in any way for such Content to the full extent permitted by law. The Promoter may remove or decline to publish any Content without notice for any reason whatsoever. Entrants warrant and agree that:
(a) they will not submit any Content that is unlawful or fraudulent, or that the Promoter may deem in breach of any intellectual property, privacy, publicity or other rights, defamatory, obscene, derogatory, pornographic, sexually inappropriate, violent, abusive, harassing, threatening, objectionable with respect to race, religion, origin or gender, not suitable for children aged under 12, or otherwise unsuitable for publication;
(b) their Content shall not contain viruses or cause injury or harm to any person or entity;
(c) they will obtain prior consent from any person or from the owner(s) of any property that appears in their Content;
(d) the Content is the original artistic/creative work of the entrant that does not infringe the rights of any third party;
(e) they consent to any use of the Content which may otherwise infringe the Content creator’s/creators’ moral rights pursuant to the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) and warrant that they have the full authority to grant these rights; and
(f) they will comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including without limitation, those governing copyright, content, defamation, privacy, publicity and the access or use of others' computer or communication systems.Without limiting any other terms herein, the entrant agrees to indemnify the Promoter for any breach of the above terms.
- As a condition of entering this promotion, each entrant licenses and grants the Promoter, its affiliates and sub-licensees a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual,worldwide, irrevocable, and sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt,publish and display their entry (which shall include Content) for any purpose,including but not limited to future promotional, marketing or publicity purposes, in any media, without compensation, restriction on use,attribution or liability.
- Entrants consent to the Promoter using their name, likeness, image and/or voice in the event they are shortlisted (including photograph, film and/or recording of the same) in any media for an unlimited period without remuneration for the purpose of promoting this promotion (including any outcome), and promoting any products manufactured, distributed and/or supplied by the Promoter.
- If this promotion is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter, including but not limited to technical difficulties, unauthorised intervention or fraud, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law (a) to disqualify any entrant; or (b) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the promotion, as appropriate.
- Any cost associated with accessing the promotional website is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the Internet service provider used.
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions limits, excludes or modifies or purports to limit, exclude or modify the statutory consumer guarantees as provided under the Competition and Consumer Act (Cth), as well as any other implied warranties under the ASIC Act (Cth) or similar consumer protection laws in the States and Territories of Australia (“Non-Excludable Guarantees”). Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including the Non-Excludable Guarantees, the Promoter (including its respective officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the promotion.
- Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including the Non-Excludable Guarantees, the Promoter (including its respective officers, employees and agents) is not responsible for and excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of: (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under the Promoter’s control); (b) any theft,unauthorised access or third party interference; (c) any entry or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by the Promoter) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter; (d) any variation in prize value to that stated in these Terms and Conditions; (e) any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant; or (f) participation in / attendance at a prize event.
- The Promoter is Mastercard Asia Pacific (Australia) Pty Ltd (ABN 95 108 603 345) of 72 Christie Street, St Leonards NSW 2060, telephone 02 9466 3700.