How Zero Liability protects you
With Mastercard Zero Liability you’re not held responsible for money spent on your card by someone else. So long as you keep your card safe
and quickly report a stolen or lost card to your bank or credit union, you’ll be repaid for any fraudulent transactions.
Things you should know about Zero Liability
Zero Liability card protection and safety
Zero Liability means the bank or credit union that issued your Mastercard won’t hold you responsible for any purchases you did not make.
Which cards are covered?
Zero Liability applies to all Mastercard credit and debit cards, including registered prepaid and small business cards, but does not apply to commercial cards, unregistered prepaid cards, gift cards, or if a PIN is used to verify the transaction.
Limitation of Liability of Cardholders for Unauthorised Transactions
Zero Liability applies to your purchases made in-store, over the telephone, online, or via a mobile device.
As a Mastercard cardholder, you will not be held responsible for unauthorised transactions if:
• you have taken reasonable care to protect your Mastercard from loss or theft;
• you have promptly reported to your bank or credit union when you knew that your Mastercard was lost or stolen;
• you have not reported two or more incidents of unauthorised use to your bank or credit union in the immediately preceding 12-month period;
• the account to which transactions initiated with such card are posted is in good standing; and
• you have complied with the terms and conditions of the corresponding Cardholder agreement.
For additional protection against unauthorised transactions that may apply to your card, please contact your bank or credit union.
Questions or concerns about internet safety and security?
If you have questions about Zero Liability cover or you suspect unauthorised use of your card, contact your bank or credit union immediately. They can also help with queries regarding credit card fraud, identity theft, scams and phishing.
Discover how real risk takers prepare for adventure
For risk takers like these, it’s all about being prepared. From planning their next adventure to buying equipment online, they need to make sure they can trust in everything they do. With Mastercard Zero Liability, cardholders are protected against unauthorised purchases anytime anywhere, because feeling safe no matter what you’re doing is priceless.